We are seeking an experienced professional to join as a key member of the management team to oversee the planning and implementation of the operations of the high-speed train system. The Transportation Operations Manager will be directly responsible for the development of all operating policies, plans and procedures related to train operations and train dispatching, including operating rules development, train and engine crew qualification and training, train dispatcher qualifications and training, high-speed train service planning, operating rules compliance oversight program, transportation related performance measure for oversight of the O&M Contractor, and manage the development of all FRA operations required documents prior to the start-up of service.
The Transportation Operations Manager will report to the General Manager and will support the development of all documents necessary to achieve project financial close. The Transportation Operations Manager will work with the Chief Engineering and Maintenance Officer and the Mechanical Maintenance Officer in the coordination and oversight of the selected Operations and Maintenance Services Contractor(s) contracted by Texas Central for the development, mobilization, and the start-up of revenue service upon the completion of the Design Build Phase.
About Texas Central
Texas Central is an investor-owned enterprise with a mission to build the first commercially viable, privately-sponsored high speed rail system serving the public as a common carrier in the United States. The Company will utilize the Japanese Shinkansen N700 which is the safest and best technology to meet the engineering, operating and environmental challenges and conditions in Texas. Texas Central is looking to hire energetic and passionate individuals to work in a team environment to complete this revolutionary project in Texas.
Key Responsibilities Will Comprise:
- Manage the development of all transportation operations policies, procedures, and practices necessary to deliver a safe, reliable, and optimized high-speed train system.
- Support the General Manager in the management and oversight of Texas Central’s selected Operations and Maintenance Contractor(s).
- Coordinate with the FRA and ensure that all transportation operating plans, policies, and procedures are consistent with FRA regulations.
- Work with Japanese Operations Advisors and O&M Contractor to manage the development of the initial draft Operating Rule Book for the high-speed rail system.
- Work with the O&M Contractor to develop the initial plans and staffing levels for train and engine crews and train dispatchers, and other transportation personnel necessary for the high-speed rail system.
- Work with the O&M Contractor to develop a hiring and training program and schedule necessary to support mobilization, temporary operations during the design/build phase, and start-up and continuation of revenue service.
- Support the Design/Build Team and participate in various planning activities necessary for the development of the Project. Such activities include, for example, the development of the Project and Railroad System Safety and Security Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan.
- In coordination with the General Manager, establish the short and long term goals for the high-speed rail system needs and priorities.
- Serve as part of Texas Central’s management team with federal, state and local officials, the Texas Department of Transportation, county and city officials, business community leaders, in promoting Texas Central’s high-speed rail services.
- Lead and manage the integration and development of all transportation operations activities and requirements such as, train personnel qualifications, training and certification, Train Dispatcher qualifications and training, operating rules development and approval, General Control Center staffing and development including the development of all policies and procedures necessary to support normal and emergency train operations and maintenance operation activities along the railroad.
- Serve as the primary Safety Officer for Railroad operational issues. Lead the development of the Railroad’s System Safety and Security Management Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan in coordination with Texas Central’s Safety and Health Manager.
- Work with the designated Operations and Maintenance Service Contractor to ensure that operational plans and service needs, especially those relating to reliability, scheduling, and maintainability of train operations, are accounted for and supported.
- Ensure that all O&M Transportation elements of the high-speed rail program are delivered within scope, quality standards, budget and schedule throughout the duration of the entire project.
- Assist in development of all the necessary plans, documents, and cost estimates necessary to achieve Financial Close.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university related to engineering, transportation, or similar field preferred.
- At least ten years of experience in railroad operations, preferably passenger operations, including previous rules qualification on NORAC, GCOR or equivalent rules.
- Demonstrated experience working and coordinating with the Federal Railway Administration as well as a thorough knowledge of the railway regulatory framework for passenger rail, preferably including alternative compliance procedures.
- At least five years of management experience related to railroad Safety & Health programs with demonstrated experience developing Safety & Health plans and programs, inclusive of job site and public safety, incident/emergency response, risk assessment, leadership development, mitigation, quality assurance, and reporting.
- Experience with introduction of new technologies, testing and commissioning of systems preferred.
- Experience with contractor oversight a plus.
- Demonstrated effective writing, data management, verbal communication, presentation, and teaching skills.
- Computer skills (including Excel, Word, Power Point); valid driver’s license; the ability to access locations under active construction; and the ability to travel to the field and work days, nights, and weekends as needed.
- Ability upon hiring to work in the United States.
Please send cover letter and resume to yallaboard@TexasCentral.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject of your email.
Texas Central is an Equal Opportunity Employer of all qualified individuals, including minorities, women, veterans & individuals with disabilities