The Transportation Officer will report to the Managing Director, Rail and Operations Maintenance, and will be responsible for overseeing the planning and implementation of the operations of the high-speed rail system. They will support the development of all documents necessary to achieve project financial close. The Transportation Officer will be directly responsible for the development of all operating policies, plans and procedures related to train operations, train dispatching including operating rules development, train and engine crew qualification and training, train dispatcher qualifications and training, high speed train service planning, operating rules compliance oversight program, transportation related performance measure for oversight of the O&M Contractor, and manage the development of all FRA operations required documents prior to the start-up of service. The Transportation Operations Manager will work with the Chief Engineering and Maintenance Officer and the Mechanical Maintenance Officer in the coordination and oversight of the selected Operations and Maintenance Services Contractor(s) contracted by Texas Central for the development, mobilization, and the start-up of revenue service upon the completion of the Design Build Phase.
Texas Central Description
Texas Central is an investor-owned enterprise with a mission to build the first commercially viable, privately-sponsored high speed rail system serving the public as a common carrier in the United States. The Company will utilize the Japanese Shinkansen N700 which is the safest and best technology to meet the engineering, operating and environmental challenges and conditions in Texas. The sponsor and developer of this initiative is Texas Central Partners, LLC. Texas Central is looking to hire energetic and passionate individuals to work in a team environment to complete this revolutionary project in Texas.
- Manage the development of all transportation operations policies, procedures, and practices necessary to deliver a safe, reliable, and optimized high-speed rail system,
- Support the General Manager in the management and oversight of Texas Central’s selected Operations and Maintenance Contractor(s),
- Coordinate with the FRA and ensure that all transportation operating plans, policies, and procedures are consistent with FRA regulations,
- Work with HTeC and O&M Contractor to manage the development of the initial draft Operating Rule Book for the high-speed rail system,
- Work with the O&M Contractor to develop the initial plans and staffing levels for train and engine crews and train dispatchers, and other transportation personnel necessary for the high-speed rail system,
- Work with the O&M Contractor to develop a hiring and training program and schedule necessary to support mobilization, temporary operations during the design/build phase, and start-up and continuation of revenue service
- Support the Design/Build Team and participate in various planning activities necessary for the development of the Project. Such activities include the development of the Project and Railroad System Safety and Security Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan.
- In coordination with the General Manager, establish the short and long term goals for the high-speed rail systemneeds and priorities.
- Serve as part of Texas Central’s management team with federal, state and local officials, the Texas Department of Transportation, county and city officials, business community leaders, in promoting Texas Central’s high-speed rail services.
- Lead and manage the integration and development of all transportation operations activities and requirements such as, train personnel qualifications, training and certification, Train Dispatcher qualifications and training, operating rules development and approval, General Control Center staffing and development including the development of all policies and procedures necessary to support normal and emergency train operations and maintenance operation activities along the railroad,
- Support the development of the Railroad’s System Safety and Security Management Plan and Emergency Preparedness Plan,
- Work with the designated Operations and Maintenance Service Contractor to ensure that operational plans and service needs, especially those relating to reliability, scheduling, and maintainability of train operations, are accounted for and supported.
- Ensure that all O&M Transportation elements of the high-speed rail program are delivered within scope, quality standards, budget and schedule throughout the duration of the entire project,
- Assist in development of all the necessary plans, documents, and cost estimates necessary to achieve Financial Close.
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university related to construction, safety, industrial hygiene or a related field.
- At least ten years of Safety & Health experience in heavy construction for major infrastructure projects, including rail, design-build, nuclear and/or other complex, highly-regulated projects.At least five years of management experience related to railroad Safety & Health programs.
- Demonstrated experience developing Safety & Health plans and programs, inclusive of job site and public safety, incident/emergency response, risk assessment, leadership development, mitigation, quality assurance, and reporting.
- Demonstrated technical writing, data management, verbal communication, presentation, and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated regulatory and technical knowledge related to construction and Safety & Health. Experience coordinating with government agencies.
- Experience with Management Systems (ISO 18001 or 45001) and their use for Safety Health program development, management, and execution.
- Experience working with teams and stakeholders in the development and delivery of large infrastructure projects.
- Ability to communicate across technical disciplines (engineering, construction, operations, maintenance).
- Knowledgeable in passenger rail systems and associated safety issues. Demonstrated ability or experience overseeing Construction Safety, System Safety, and aspects of Operational Safety for a railroad.
- Computer skills (including Excel, Word, Power Point); valid driver’s license; the ability to access locations under active construction; and the ability to travel to the field and work days, nights, and weekends as needed.
- Extensive experience interacting with local communities.
- Detailed knowledge of rail system-safety engineering work processes and established safety case submissions.
- Experience and expertise regarding environmental compliance and mitigations associated with federal, state and local regulatory requirements would be a beneficial, however not a requirement for this position.
Contact: Please send cover letter and resume to yallaboard@TexasCentral.com. Please include the Job Title in the subject of your email.